Contract type: Contract, up to 4 months
To respond to a growing number, intensity, and duration of international crisis worldwide the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is gradually expanding the number and scope of projects implemented through the KfW Development Bank (KfW) in fragile settings and countries of origin and transit of refugees. To mobilize consultants’ expertise more easily in the future and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of required expert input for the preparation of upcoming projects the KfW engaged a Panel of Pre-qualified Consultants, including the m4h-lead Consortium of 5 specialist international development consulting companies (The Consortium includes Luvent Consulting GmbH, SWECO GmbH, Groupe Cayambe SARL, HYDROPHIL GmbH and management4health GmbH).
Within the scope of the Framework Contract- Fragile Context, our role will be to respond rapidly with adequate expertise of international and national experts to future calls for services in fragile states. These services will include Pre-feasibility Studies, Services related to Environmental and Social Safeguards and Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD), Analysis of the Project Executing Agency (PEA), Peace and Conflict Analysis (PCA), Analysis of Target Groups and Project Affected People (ATG) in 6 target sectors: water, energy, transport, health, education, peacebuilding/crisis prevention/promotion of social coherence.
It is against this background that we seek qualified national and international consultants as Senior Experts to collaborate with us on upcoming Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) in selected fragile context.
The overall purpose of ESDD will be to contribute to project identification and project preparation through high level screening of planned interventions regarding environmental and social risks and potential negative and positive impacts. The objective of this risk screening will be the categorization of environmental and social (E&S) risks by an identification of potential impacts and a general determination of the E&S safeguard instruments, which would be required. The screening process will identify any red flags or fatal flaws related to a given proposed intervention under an E&S safeguards and human rights perspective and will identify key strategies and measures for avoidance of significant negative impacts, e.g. through design recommendations. The E&S risk screening will be undertaken in context to other studies for project identification, such as studies on the overall technical feasibly of proposed interventions or as Peace and Conflict Assessments. As such the key tasks under the ESDD will include but are not limited to:
- High-level E&S Risk Screening and Initial Identification of Impacts
- Creating E&S risk screening matrix along the relevant standards
- Analysis of the relevant host country legislation and relevant institutional frameworks
- Reconnaissance visits to proposed project site(s), ground truthing of desk-based assessments and verification of baseline description
- Direct and indirect engagement, document review and –analysis, risk assessment along the Relevant Standards, virtual meetings, questionnaires, other tools and methods as appropriate
- Identification and brief conceptualization of potential activities of the new project, and reflections on relevance, efficiency, impact, sustainability, risks and “Do-No-Harm” approach etc.
- At least 10 years of postgraduate professional experience in one of the below-mentioned sectors
- 5 years of relevant experience with E&S impact assessment, environmental auditing and E&S monitoring of development projects.
- Proven track record in conducting E&S impact assessment, Resettlement Action Plans, Environmental and Social Management Frameworks or Plans.
- Proven experience of carrying out stakeholder consultations and strong network with state/non-state actors in one (or more) of the countries listed above.
- Willingness to travel to country of assignment.
- Fluency in English and/or French depending on the country assignment.
- Published high quality reports related to the mentioned topics will be an advantage.
- Prior experience in the E&S area in the above sectors, preferably for DFI clients such as KFW, World Bank, ADB etc.
Master’s degree (or higher) in Environmental Sciences & Policy, Environmental Studies, Social and Development Studies or other relevant academic fields.
Expertise in one of the following sectors:
- water, energy, transport, health, education, peacebuilding/crisis prevention/promotion of social coherence
Geographic expertise in one (or more) of the following countries:
- Middle East, Afghanistan & Pakistan: Afghanistan, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestine, Syria, Yemen
- Africa – Francophone countries: Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, DR Congo, Guinea, Mali, Niger
- Africa – anglophone countries: ECOWAS (as an institution), Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda
If you are interested to apply, please send your CV to email@example.com quoting the above-mentioned “Call for National and International ESDD – Fragile Context” in a subject line.
To be able to contact you swiftly for this and other suitable opportunities we will store your CV and personal data on our Expert Roster, which is only accessible to limited number of staff. By replying to this Call for Experts you declare your consent for your data to be used for the project development related activities and for as long as it serves the purpose for which it was collected. You may also at any time request the restriction of the use or processing of your personal data (Art. 18 and 19 EU GDPR), request the transmission of your personal data to third parties (§ 20 EU GDPR), or object to the use of your personal data (§ 21 EU GDPR). If you want to exercise any of the above-mentioned rights, please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org