The programme ”Support to the water sector reform in the Democratic Republic of Congo” (RESE)
is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). This programme supports the Congolese Government in planning a profound and sustainable reform of the water sector.
The RESE project is a component of PROSECO program of the German development cooperation, which beside this technical assistance component, also includes a financial cooperation component.
The KfW Development Bank ensures the rehabilitation and extension of the provision of clean water and basic sanitation systems in a number of secondary cities in the provinces of Kasai, Equateur and Bandundu.
This project consists of four fields of action:
- Support to the national drinking water policy
- Consolidation of the consultation platform in the Kasai Oriental Province
- Capacity building of the Directorate of the Secondary Centers Services (DSCS) and the Secondary Centers Services (SCS) of the REGIDESO
- Sensitization in the field of supply of drinking water, hygiene and (basic) sanitation
Scope of work
m4h was responsible for the areas of health financing, quality improvement of services, supply of management4health together with its consortium partner WASH United is implementing the 4th field of action: ‘Sensitization in the field of supply of drinking water, hygiene and (basic) sanitation’.
The project aims to strengthen the capacities of health districts and municipalities in awareness raising of the population to safe water, hygiene and (basic) sanitation by:
- developing educational materials, guidelines and provide training for district level staff.
- providing community health promotion, awareness campaigns and stimulating the demand in (basic) sanitation.
- Identification of public, private and civil society actors involved in the water & sanitation sector in 12 Secondary Centres of the 3 regions
- Identification & validation of the specific needs of the target population (and annual update)
- Training the main stakeholders and annual update of the sensitization measures (preparation / application of materials & techniques) according to the current capacities of the actors and the needs of the target population
- Improving governance and accountability in Water resources through the development and implementation of accessible complaint and response mechanisms for (basic) sanitation.